Saturday, November 21, 2009

Up and about...again

After a rough and painful day yesterday, JoDee has done a lot better today. Thanks to skilled anesthesiologists, her pain is under control and she is able to breathe much better. The “garden hose”, as we call it, seems to be doing its job as it has aided in the draining of about 1300 cc of fluid (I still can’t figure out how they put this thing in her side… I get the willies just thinking about it). So, with less fluid around her damaged left lung we are hoping she will be able to open that lung with deeper breaths and avoid pneumonia.

We were getting used to walks with fewer hoses, cables and wires, but with the chest tube in we now have more gear again to walk with. JoDee made it out for a walk three times today. She is now resting very well and will hopefully be able to sleep well given the exhausting day she has had. Her drive and motivation to get better continues to amaze me. In fact one of the nurses mentioned to us while walking in the hall this evening…”didn’t you just get that tube in yesterday, how can you be up walking?!”….she doesn’t know JoDee!

We brought the kids in to see her, one at a time, as it has been a week since she had seen or talked to them. Needless to say, it was a bit emotional but much needed. I think it really helped the kids to see her and realize her situation. Sadie and mom stayed with JoDee while dad, Zack, Halle and I ran errands and hung out. It was good for me to spend some time with the kids. It’s amazing the zest for life kids have, and their sincere optimism is contagious. Zack made the comment to me today, after visiting with JoDee, “dad, I didn’t know mommy could still talk….that’s awesome!” Sometimes I really wonder what they are thinking. I think JoDee’s visit with the kids was quite refreshing, I know it was for me. JoDee’s spirits are up today, and she is feeling like the chest tube is worth it. It is good to see her noticing her own progress, and I think it builds her confidence. Her goal for tomorrow is to, once again, get rid of the oxygen tube. It’s been a great day.

9 comments:

  1. I am truly amazed everyday at the progress, blessings, and of Heavenly Father's love for JoDee. We are praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. You are truly inspiring. We're thinking of you every day.

    Keith & Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so nice to hear about your visit with the kids. Keep going, JoDes...you are doing great! Thanks for the updates, Bryan. We love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, We are just SO happy! We are happy for you and for the kids. We are glad you were able to spend time with them today, both of you.

    We are happy with your progress. We're sorry that some of that has to come with more pain but it sounds like it has been worth it.

    As always, we are praying for you and think of you constantly. It's amazing Kari gets anything done because she thinks of you all so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Children are the best dose of medicine. As parents we fight for them. Just like our Father in Heaven does for us. Keep fighting Schramm's!

    We are thankful for the updates Bryan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bryan,
    im totally amazed on how much your wife has come to where she is. I read about her and i pray that she continues too get better everyday and my mom put her name in the temple too. get well sister schramm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you still continue to amaze us all with your determination to push yourself. I'm so glad you got to see the kids yesterday -I know that has been hard for you not to see them. You are such a great Mom. We are so thankful for your progress - thanks Bryan for keeping us posted. We love you all so much...MOM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep pushing JoDee. You are a real trouper!! The nurse in me says to you JoDee keep moving and remember TAKE DEEP BREATHS, it keeps the pneumonia away. You are awsome. Glad to hear that you had a little time with the kids. Thanks Bryan for the blogs

    Carol Lamb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soo great you got to see your babies! Glad to hear it was a better day. Keep pushing beautiful girl!

    ReplyDelete