Friday, November 20, 2009

The ebb and flow

So, as I posted earlier, JoDee had a chest tube inserted to help drain the fluid that is putting pressure on her damaged lung. A few quick and interesting items of note:

1) the doctor had to insert the tube (~3/4 of an inch in diameter) between two cracked ribs on her left side…ouch is an understatement

2) it was the biggest tube possible for use in this application

3) almost 900 cc (or mL) of fluid has already drained

4) chest tubes are extremely painful and it has literally taken two anesthesiologists to be able to get her pain under control so that she could stand to take a breath, oh and 7.5 hours of trying this drug and that drug, relocating her epidural, drugs via IV…you name it

5) drugs are good (the legal kind of course)

Today has been one of those days that the doctors warned us about. But in the long run, a day that was necessary for JoDee’s recovery. Unfortunately, it has set us back two or three days in the near term. Yesterday was a great day and she was actually able to visit with some friends. It will be a while until she has that sort of energy and stamina again. However, getting that fluid out of her body has now become essential to her overall well being. The risk of inflammation and even infection, along with added pressure on her lungs, was approaching dangerous levels. Fortunately, I now think we have her pain under control, and she is relaxing a bit more. I can tell when she is more relaxed by the fact that she is able to take deeper breaths, and not the short “panting-like” little breaths. Hopefully, we can get more sleep than last night.

It has been a bit emotional for mom and dad and I to watch her endure such high levels of pain after all she has gone through. I am so thankful that mom and dad are here, as it has been great to have someone to go through this process with.

I also have to say thanks to Zach and Kristy for being such great friends and for helping us in so many ways. This experience has not been easy on them nor on their family. It has been great to talk with them and to share the emotions of that cold and snowy Saturday night that didn’t end the way we expected. JoDee has been an inspiration to me personally and even after being married now for nine years, I am continually amazed by her drive and determination. The world is a better place because of her.

10 comments:

  1. I'm anxious for you both to have a better sleep tonight. Sounds like this tube thing is not fun, but that the results are good. I'm so thankful that you (Bryan) and Mom and Dad are able to be there with her. Our prayers on your behalf are ongoing, we love you. Keep strong, get some sleep and take a deep breath. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about more pain ( and JoDee has a high tolerance). It sounds like that tube is doing its job though to drain the fluid. We pray you have a comfortable sleep and that your spirits are high. We love you. Dave and Marla +5

    ReplyDelete
  3. JoDee I am so sorry you have to go through this we are keeping you in our prayers. Rest up and hang in there. Love you!
    mo

    ReplyDelete
  4. JoDee girl, I am so sorry too that you have to go through this! I am so proud of you and the good person you have always been! So fun and bubbly, so cheerful and cute! You are in my thoughts and prayers all day long!I know that Heavenly Father is helping you and that He loves you so very much! I am so glad that your parents are with you and know that they bring great comfort to you and wonderful support to Bryan and your adorable children! You are a very blessed gal! :0)
    I love you cute girl!
    Carma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that was more of an ordeal than I even imagined. I'm so sorry for you JoDee. I hope that it has accomplished what was needed. You are so strong and the Lord is mindful of your suffering. Because of your goodness you will receive his blessings. Our prayers continue for you. We send our love to you and your family....MOM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Bryan for the updates on JoDee. Your family has been in the thoughts and prayers of lots of people in "Little Barnwell" this last week, and will continue to be. I am so glad that Terry and LaDene have been able to be there to give you lots of love and support. Ladene has always been one of my favorite people!!! Hopefully this next week will bring more healing. Keep taking big breaths.
    Love Cheryl Bullock

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh JoDee, I'm so sorry you have to go through this. My heart breaks to hear about the amount of pain you have been in. Bryan, I can't imagine. You are so good for her. I hope today is better. JoDee, you are so strong. You can make it through this. You are in ever one of our prayers. (Even the kids :) The Lord loves you and is aware of you. I can't wait until I can see you again. I miss you!
    Shanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bryan I don't beleive we've met my name is Chad and I am Jodees cousin, Deloys son. I am currently living in Middle East and have not seen Jodee for many years, however we were close in our younger years. Please send my love and support to her/ and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what an "experience!" Poor thing! I've been keeping updated all week, but I thought I should comment and just let you guys know that you are ALL in our prayers....every night!! I have spent way too much time in hospitals throughout my life and understand what an emotional roller coaster that whole thing can be. Please know there are many of us here just waiting to help in any way we can! (We've all been told to just" wait for the call!") The entire ward is with you in spirit!

    Love,
    Melanie, Pete, Kensie & Eric Sims

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are thinking of you JoDee every day. Our prayers are with you. Keep working hard to get better! We are praying for you every day!

    ReplyDelete